2012 Presidential Election, Barack Obama, Mitt Romney

I Grew Up in a Socialist Country: An Ad Paid For by a Private Citizen

Thomas Petterfy

“I grew up in a socialist country and I have seen what that does to people. There is no hope, no freedom, no pride in achievement. The nation became poorer and poorer, and that’s what I see happening here.”

Thomas Petterfy is an immigrant from Hungary who has built a fortune of over $5 billion in America. He sees the direction the United States is headed, and it concerns him enough that he is spending $5-$10 million dollars of his own money warning people about the consequences of socialism.

CNN ran a story on Mr. Petterfy’s ads, and the title of their story was Rich, worried and buying ad time.  Clearly, they can’t comprehend a private citizen spending his own money for the good of the country.  Their very headline exposes their disdain for those who work hard and achieve.

This is a man who has seen both ways of life, and the results of both political philosophies.

Perhaps Americans ought to listen to him.

About these ads

Discussion

23 thoughts on “I Grew Up in a Socialist Country: An Ad Paid For by a Private Citizen

1. What a brave and decent man. We should spread this everywhere. Hopefully enough people will pay attention.

Posted by Sherman | October 12, 2012, 1:33 pm
  2. My heart swells when I view this ad. I feel the pride and emotion that drove this grateful patriot to broadcast his message. To use any means necessary to warn us of the evils lurking out there for all of us, should we cast our vote, one more time, to further an already spreading blight of socialism. It appears to me that Mr.Peterffy is doing what comes from the heart, what other Americans should be doing as well..asking not what the Country can do for him, rather what HE CAN DO FOR HIS COUNTRY. And he does it very well.

Posted by Brenda | October 12, 2012, 4:51 pm
    • Well-stated, Brenda! This man is risking a lot to give back to the country that provided him the opportunity to succeed. Who knows what government regulations and red tape might be thrown at this man’s business, should the socialists in office win another term.

It makes me wonder where so many others are who have benefitted in the same way. Are they fine with the notion that “I got mine…so what happens will happen?” Or should they be more like Mr. Petterfy and work to ensure the same opportunities are here for future generations.

I see a lot of patriots working hard this year…not always with money, but by volunteering in campaigns of righteous men and women, and by spending extra time online sharing truth with friends and acquintences on Facebook, Twitter, email, etc.

I ask people everyday…”What are you going to do today to help defeat Barack Obama?” We’re in the home stretch! Let’s all do a little bit more.

Posted by Red Pill Report | October 12, 2012, 8:00 pm
  3. This man, even though he is foreign born is more of a patriot than all the main stream media combined. Show me one thing they are doing to warn the American people of the dangers that lurk in a second Obama term. Show me any of them standing up for the principles that made this country great. They don’t do it. I’ll take one legal-immigrant patriot to a million natural-born citizens that suck.

Posted by Cucciolo | October 12, 2012, 6:28 pm
  4. It is hard for me to understand why so many are buying into socialism when it has failed everywhere it has been tried. What was there about the Soviet Union of SOCIALIST Republics that appeals to Democrats and their lemming followers? Every socialist experiment has failed in all respects but one: That is the elevation of a RULING CLASS to great power and great wealth. They belittle success and affluence achieved through hard work and intelligence. They plunder the property of the wealthy and redistribute it among those who don’t know how to manage it. It doesn’t bless them. Productivity falls and scarcity reigns. All are poor except for the RULING CLASS.

Thank you, Red Pill, for sharing the truth!

Posted by Linus | October 13, 2012, 6:43 am
    • Hitler’s political party was called the “National Socialist German Workers’ Party”, and I doubt that anyone would call Hitler a socialist. He despised communism as much as many Americans do, especially after the propaganda of the McCarthy era where the words Communism and Socialism were conflated to mean the same thing. So it doesn’t really matter what names people use, it is their actions which make them what they are. That being said, most Americans wouldn’t recognize the American brand of Fascism actively at work in the U.S. within right-wing politics.

Posted by Kenton Forshee | October 20, 2012, 10:39 am
  5. People are falling for it because our marxist schools are indoctrinating students into it. They are not teaching what happened in the past. I know, I work at a school and see every left-wing agenda item being pushed. Our battle will be lost in the classroom.

Posted by Marty | October 13, 2012, 9:39 am
  6. What people are failing to understand is that communist countries have always been financially crippled by the United States through embargoes and sanctions, and that was done because the ruling elite in the U.S. didn’t want communism to flourish. Now lets be clear about this, there is a difference between communism and socialism. Communism is always foisted upon the population and is quite authoritarian and dogmatic. Note the authoritarianism and dogmatism wasn’t the reason that the U.S. disapproved of the USSR. The U.S. can be quite authoritarian and dogmatic, especially on the political/social right wing. The American elite hate communism because under it they would lose their financial power in a collectivist banking system and where the people own the means of production, rather than it be privately owned as it is in the U.S. So let’s not pretend that this is about socialism, socialist countries exist right now, and they are quite capitalistic which allows the banks and private corporations to do business as usual. Modern socialist countries like Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Canada, France, and many other countries.

Posted by Kenton Forshee | October 20, 2012, 7:50 am
  7. What a joke. Obama is a middle of the road Democrat, not a socialist. The rest of the world is laughing its ass off at one mainstream America considers socialism. A desire to return to pre-Bush era tax rates does not make Obama socialist any more than it made Eisenhower America socialist. Health-care does not make America socialist anymore than unemployement insurance did not make America socialist. America is still the land of opportunity, and I see that around me everyday in New York. Google, Amazon, Apple, Facebook: All American. Do you think that was posssible in 1956 Hungary? Please.

Posted by Craig | October 26, 2012, 10:50 pm
  8. I am in the boat this gentlemen speaks of, I worked hard building a private business. I eventually bought my way into a firm with equity. I thought I worked hard for a decent sized paycheck, but honestly I see it frittered away. I consume at least 1/350,000,000th of the US Infrastructure now, but 40+% of my income is taxed. I cannot buy a house, because unfortunatly I did not earn my income over years of work, I studied for nearly a decade to build my knowledge capital, and earned my income in one year — through this process I feel let down, hopeless and more.

I cannot afford a down payment, nor can I afford a house that costs astronomical more than it did when I was growing up. I feel punished, abused as in a carrot being dangled in front, but the carrot is pulled higher and higher every year. The only way you can make it is you marry another successful individual and have no children or make it to superstar status or work your entire life.

My grandparents bought their home with a 5 year mortgage, my mother and father with a 30 year. That’s not a good sign.

This gentleman is right — there are so little incentives — the incentives are provided for the ultra-rich mega-corporations.

So I’ve decided, to give up — seriously. I’ve lived in DC and I can surely tell you that — they have no interest in helping you. They are interested in helping their ideals of you, but not you.

Posted by LycanR1 | October 29, 2012, 5:01 pm
  9. The collective consciousness of this country scares the hell out of me. How people buy into fear, the lack of compassion, what’s in my wallet is mine mentality, and it’s somehow our duty to be the worlds bully. Do you really think this is what our founding fathers wanted? One nation under GOD! What kind of GOD would promote this place of consciousness?

Posted by Kim I. Morgan | November 5, 2012, 9:26 am
    • You know…it’s ironic that people like you believe it is morally superior for the government to steal what’s in a person’s wallet…than it is for people to want to keep what is in their own. Leftists like you devalue the good in people. People are inherently good…and they will help each other, when they are left with the means to do so. We’re seeing this in action right now in the path of hurricane Sandy. People are voluntarily providing assistance to their fellow-Americans much more effectively than the massive bureaucratic government agency established to do just that. The left believes people must be compelled to do good…but it goes even beyond that. They believe government is the only entity that can do good for the people…and that belief gives them the right to steal from one to give to another. There are several problems with this disproven philosophy.

1) When government takes from the productive of society to provide for the less fortunate, half (or more) of the money is swalled up by bureaucratic waste. The needy end up receiving a fraction of the money while the government squanders the bulk of it.

2) When government takes from the productive of society, it disincentivizes the desire to be productive. God said to Adam “by the sweat of thy brow shall thou eat bread,” and I’m sure Adam learned quickly that if he wanted to be better fed, he had to work harder. In a free market, capitalist society…people have learned the same lesson that God taught Adam. The problem is…the government then wants to take from those who have worked harder to take care of those who don’t (along with funding their bureaucracy). Eventually, the productive people will reach a point where they are actually eating worse than those on the government dole. (this is happening today!!!) Where is their incentive to continue?

3) This is where the left is completely off-base! It is NOT compassionate to create an entitlement, welfare society! When you make it more attractive for people to not work…and to take government handouts…you are enslaving people! You are not only enslaving them to the government, you are enslaving their very soul to an evil mentality that causes them to fail to be the people God intended for them to be. You also create a divisive, hateful jealousy…where the people who are on the receiving end actually resent those who have worked hard, and are now being robbed on their behalf. How dare you and anyone on the left pretend to have the moral high ground when you are reducing people to shells of the people they have the potential to be. What kind of a person would wish that on anyone??

Posted by Red Pill Report | November 5, 2012, 10:36 am
      • You write, “People are inherently good…and they will help each other, when they are left with the means to do so.”

No. SOME people are inherently good, while others are inherently bad. Some people are generous, while others are selfish. Studies have shown, one which was featured on MSNBC, that rich people are less charitable than the middle class when it comes to percentage of income. Why is that? Could it be that the more wealthy that someone is the less connected they are with what it means to be poor?

You write, “People are voluntarily providing assistance to their fellow-Americans much more effectively than the massive bureaucratic government agency established to do just that.”

Bull. Individuals do not have the means necessary to help individuals in many situations. There have been many rescue operations performed by our government during the crisis. How many individuals can get the electricity back on by themselves? How many can perform massive housing relocations? How many have the equipment to clear debris and rebuild and maintain order?

You write, “The left believes people must be compelled to do good”

SOME people must be compelled, otherwise they simply will not chose the common good, while others are the first to volunteer. Why is it that people such as yourself live in a black and white world?

You say, “They believe government is the only entity that can do good for the people…and that belief gives them the right to steal from one to give to another.”

When government takes from the rich and helps the poor it’s called stealing, when the government takes from the poor and gives to the rich it’s called bailouts.

Answers to your points:

1) The problems within the government can be corrected, but it seems you’d rather toss out the baby with the bathwater, and rely on charity which is often just as corrupt as government. The problem with that is by eliminating government to the point that some people want it to be eliminated there would be no over-site on the charities, and it’s already been established that the rich give a lesser percentage of their income than the middle class to charity. Charity also tends to be localized and selective in its assistance where even more people fall through the cracks.

2) You write, “When government takes from the productive of society, it disincentivizes the desire to be productive.”

Did you know that most people on food-stamps are people who are working, but still can’t make ends meet. Did you know that people who work at Walmart qualify for foodstamps, and can’t afford medical insurance? The problem is that in the effort for corporate America to make increasing amounts of money for their CEOs and their shareholders they pay their employees almost nothing.

You write, “God said to Adam “by the sweat of thy brow shall thou eat bread,” and I’m sure Adam learned quickly that if he wanted to be better fed, he had to work harder.”

It’s pathetic to use the Bible to blame hard working Americans because they can’t make ends meet by saying they should work harder.

You write, “The problem is…the government then wants to take from those who have worked harder to take care of those who don’t (along with funding their bureaucracy). Eventually, the productive people will reach a point where they are actually eating worse than those on the government dole. (this is happening today!!!) Where is their incentive to continue?”

I can imagine that millionaires are eating worse off than those who get $200 in food-stamps per month because their job at McDonald’s doesn’t pay. You must be kidding.

3) You write, “It is NOT compassionate to create an entitlement, welfare society”.

What isn’t compassionate is starving children because their parents have fallen on hard times, or can’t get a good paying job.

You write, “When you make it more attractive for people to not work…and to take government handouts…you are enslaving people!”

When you force people to work 3 jobs to make ends meet you destroy families with absentee parents and you enslave people to corporations who make tons of money and don’t pay a living wage.

You write, “You are not only enslaving them to the government, you are enslaving their very soul to an evil mentality that causes them to fail to be the people God intended for them to be.”

Most people who utilize the welfare system eventually get back on their feet, you know, like Mitt Romney’s Father did, and like Paul Ryan who used his father’s social security to get through college when his father died. Are you referring to that kind of “enslavement”?

You write, “You also create a divisive, hateful jealousy…where the people who are on the receiving end actually resent those who have worked hard, and are now being robbed on their behalf.”

Speak for your ungrateful self. I’ve known many people who were simply thankful that the help was there when they needed it.

You write, “How dare you and anyone on the left pretend to have the moral high ground when you are reducing people to shells of the people they have the potential to be. What kind of a person would wish that on anyone??”

Your hyperbole aside, it seems that it is YOU who are reducing people to shells here, so it appears that it is you who are wishing that on people.

Posted by Kenton Forshee | November 5, 2012, 1:20 pm
  10. Sorry Kenton – not going to waste my time reading your 6-page drivel. I’ll just assume you’re the typical supporter of the Obama ‘redistribution’ game…and we’ll leave it at that. If you do develop some initiative over the course of your life, and move out of mom’s basement and into the real world…you’ll discover that there is something moral and decent about rewarding hard work and allowing people to enjoy the fruits of their labors. You really should change your dirty t-shirt, though.

Posted by Red Pill Report | November 6, 2012, 1:32 pm
  11. BS argument. There are zero taxes in countries that call themselves “Republics”. And they vary widely in how they view the poor and rich. Afghanistan where you can’t tax anyone because almost everyone is poor… or Dubai where you can’t tax them because almost everyone is a millionaire.
    Strange how the wealthiest, happiest, healthiest countries are ALL socialist countries… meanwhile the U.S. remains angry, unhealthy, poorer…. and armed and dangerous.

Posted by studio | February 10, 2013, 10:41 am
  12. When I was a girl, I attempted to do the same thing and nearly destroyed
    myself.

Posted by Nandish Sood | February 12, 2013, 3:59 am
  13. Dear Thomas Peterffy . . . I know its been a hard five years for you Mr. Peterffy, since our Socialist Prez came into office. During this time, your net worth has only risen from $1.5 billion to $7.6 billion. GASP!
    Know what else? The top tax rate when you came over here was about 70%. You are prob paying 15% cap gains and carried interest now, and you are whining about America turning socialist because you might have to pay a few measley % points more in taxes???
    Hey! And know what happens in America but not in Communist Hungary from 60 years ago Mr. Peterffy? Elections. Know what else happens? Someone wins, which might not be your guy, and he might be BROWN too! Sore Loserman!
    For the amount you are spending for all of these ads ($10 MM) you could have put 500 kids through college or something else REALLY useful. Suck it up and stop bellyaching plutocrats, and UR welcome for bailing all of your sorry a***s out on Wall Street instead of being jailed you like you deserved.

Posted by Blah Man | August 19, 2013, 10:09 am

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Pingback: I Grew Up in a Socialist Country: An Ad Paid For by a Private Citizen - October 14, 2012

2. Pingback: IT”S ELECTION TIME WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO ,THIS IS HOW I STAND « GOD, GUTS,OLD GLORYand AMMO - October 21, 2012

3. Pingback: I Grew Up in a Socialist Country: An Ad Paid For by a Private Citizen « 4frespeech - November 2, 2012